Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What's #1 in your life

Today I have been reminded of something very important, not only in my life, but in the life of all Christians. I have been pretty busy recently, this past week I taught a lesson for the kids in my church, so I had to prepare for that, I have also been preparing for a Murder Mystery Dinner party for my dad's 50th birthday, and I've been juggling, practice, and lessons, and those all take time as well. Anyway, back to my point, I have gotten side tracked quite often recently, thinking about what I need to do next, and what's on my to-do list and things like that, and God gets pushed farther away. Each morning I determine that I am going to do my devotions, I take time each day to pray, and read, and spend time with my own Heavenly Father before I get too involved with my own wants, needs, family, or friends. This morning was one of those kinds of days, I had prayed, and spent a little time with God, however my whole focus wasn't on Him, I hadn't got out of bed yet, so I was dozing off, and thinking about other things. So, I finished praying and decided since that took so long, I would take a little break before I read my Bible. So I got out of bed and got on the computer, I was focused then on the Murder Mystery Dinner. I started writing up some papers that needed to be done for it, and her it was 3:15, I was still in my pajamas, and hadn't read my Bible yet. My awesome juggling teacher, and good buddy, Devin texted me and wanted to do a lesson today, Of course I love juggling so I jumped on it, I got in the shower, and I left for his house for the lesson, needless to say, I still hadn't read my Bible, I still hadn't spent time with God, and I was too focused on my own wants. I was too busy thinking about what I wanted to do, that God got pushed farther aside. As we were having our lesson we got talking about a book called "The Slight Edge" I haven't read it yet, but I'm hoping to shortly. It's about how everything we do in our lives can make the biggest difference, and Devin brought up something that I needed today. He said it goes for spiritual things too. The littlest thing as reading your Bible, will help you grow, and the more time you spend doing it, the better it will be for you. I didn't say too much, but it was like a kick in the pants, saying, "Hey, he's talking to you!" It was the reminder that I needed today. God should be number one in my life, As I was thinking of a verse that could go with this thought, the one that instantaneously came to mind was one of the 10 commandments.
In Exodus 20:3 it says
"You shall have no other gods before me"
So why do we? No, we don't have golden calves, or wooden statues like they had in the Bible, but we make our own things our god. We put juggling, or a Murder Mystery in front of God, and push God aside.So many times we put our own wants and needs before God. Sure, there are some times you just can't do your devotions, if you wake up late, and have to be somewhere in twenty minutes, or you're sick and can hardly move. God understands, but it's things like putting your own thoughts before God. We should all put God as number one in our life. Whether it's taking some time to read or pray, or thinking about God throughout our day, that's how we should put God as first in our life. I know God sent me a huge reminder today, and I know it's something I continually need to work on, but I know in my life, I want to put God as #1. Thanks for the great reminder Devin! Have a great night,, God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment