Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Make God the hub and everything else the spokes

As I said in my last entry, Satan tries anything and everything to get a hold of us, and we have to be especially careful not to fall into Satan's trap.

This morning as I woke up, I realized that I was facing that same battle. I've had a lot to do recently, I knew I had to get started studying, I knew I really wanted to get in some juggling practice because I love it, I've been thinking about the theatre, because it's also something I love, and I just didn't feel like doing my devotions. But in each of our lives we have to make a decision. So many people today are so busy, they have a hard time prioritizing, and putting one thing as the main priority in their lives.

We read in Exodus 20
"You must not have any other god but me"

We realize that this is the story of Moses, and he is alone with God as they are making the ten commandments. What Moses didn't know, right under his feet, his own people that he had saved from slavery were making a golden calf. God had just rescued them from Pharoah and his army, and they got impatient, so they relied on a golden statue to lead them. Of course it didn't work. But in our life we can have gods too. Sometimes in our life we get so busy. So many things are on our agenda we don't even consider spending time with God. We know we have to do things, then we have things that we want to do, but do we ever consider what God would like. He wants to have a personal relationship with us. He wants to spend time with us. He wants us to grow closer to him, and He wants us to be more like him, but without the time we spend with him, it won't happen. We should put God first in our lives. Whether it's just doing our devotions, or going and doing something that God would want us to do, we should base our lives on God.

Whenever I think about this, I picture a captain's wheel that you would find on a ship. You picture the big wheel, it has all the spokes that you can hold on to, and help you turn it. But then you have the main hub, the center of the wheel. It controls the whole thing. All of the spokes surround it, and the hub is the primary controller. In our lives, everything we want, everything we need, those should be the spokes, they should all surround what God would have for us, and we should let God control it all. I know there are gods in my life that I need to work on. Is God the hub in your life? Have a great night, God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment